Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Same Shoes…Different Bench

On August 1st, I will start as the new Organist and Adult Choirmaster of Christ Church, Ridgewood.  The last couple of weeks have been a mix of emotions.  I have been a very fortunate person with the churches that I have served as organist and music director.  There have been so many lives that have intersected with mine, and I am blessed.  I have forged great friendships with people and in this busy day of Internet, smart phones, texting, tweeting, and other forms of social media, I do my best to keep in touch with people.  So what has me in this contemplative mood?

As I go through several boxes of music and sundry items that I have amassed in almost twenty years, it is almost like going back in time.  So many people have asked me when did I start playing organ.  To be honest, and I still think this today, I was a late bloomer starting piano just before I turned 10 and was literally dropped into playing organ before age 13 (that was a hot summer I will never forget).  From that point onward, it has been this lifelong partnership of regular Sundays that I rarely felt a need to run away from it or abandon.  Instead, I just knew it would be something that would be for life—but not knowing where it would take me.  My mother says that it is a divine calling, one that I should never ignore (although, she feels that I should be more grounded in my Lutheran roots, but I am playing for an Episcopal church).

If I could recommend something to read, it would be Oh the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss.  This should be required reading of every human.  If you haven’t, I will not give it away—just read it.  You will see your life in print on the pages of this children’s classic and you will be in awe.  I wish I read this book years ago, but I’m glad I did this spring.

Ah, my time capsule of music.  There are pieces that I have kept a hold of over the years and they each have a story.  They tell a story of a would-be organist from Brooklyn thinking he knew everything and his journey from the city, through college, and the churches that he would serve beyond.  Some stories are memorable and sweet, others a little bitter, but every one a learning experience.  As I prepare to move my career in several boxes, these last couple of weeks of packing, condensing, and letting go has offered many remembrances.  I can honestly say that I have grown as a musician and in my faith, and will continue to grow.  This is the joy of a life-long learner:  I don’t know everything, but I’m going to have fun trying!  Same organ shoes, but a new bench and a new chapter in my career.

There’s fun to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment